Friday, August 6, 2021

Good deeds in The Inheritance by Donna Sundblad


For the Christian, good deeds aren’t a checklist, part of program, or an app. They are a way of life. We are to be like Jesus as we walk with Him in this world. It’s not a one and done deal. He never said, “I did my good deed for the day.” 

 


In my allegory, The Inheritance, the main character, Jejune, starts the story living in the Village of Lofty Thought. His name means, immature, lacking knowledge or experience. In Lofty Thought, people are rewarded for coming up with new theories about how people get to the Eternal City as each generation declares a New Age of Enlightenment. Many don’t believe in the All Knowing One. At their coming of age, young people deliver the first of their new theories, and are rewarded with an embroidered ring to decorate their sleeves. The more new ideas, the more rings, the more honor. It’s a reward and recognition of what they deem to be good works. As the story opens, Jejune is about to celebrate his coming of age.

 


Good works and reward

In yesterday’s post, role of good deeds in the Christian life, covered why we do good works. The intent and motives behind what we do makes a difference. It's why we do them. It’s not supposed to be for rewards in this world. In Mathew 6:1, Jesus says, “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.” (2 Timothy 2:15)

In The Inheritance, Jejune, questions the Illuminati, the authoritative lofty thinkers, who dress in their robes decorated with rings up to their elbows. He asks how conflicting theories can all be right. It creates an issue, and he is labeled a troublemaker. 

He tires of hearing about theories from people who haven’t even gone on a quest to learn the truth. He talks to Wigglewot, and says, “Wig, my Coming of Age has arrived, but I feel ill prepared. I know it's time for a change. Life in Lofty Thought leaves me barren, like my ringless sleeves." He extended his arm, allowing his sleeve to snap in the breeze. "The time is ripe for me to become a Seeker."


 

Why I wrote The Inheritance

The reason I wrote The Inheritance, along with entertainment the factor, is as a tool to help others seek the truth. I did my best not to use religious language so non-believers will read it as well as believers. As they do, I pray it opens opportunities to talk about things that really matter. Things above. Our eternal destiny. It's a discussion starter.

Excerpt from The Inheritance

 This excerpt is taken from chapter 4: "The Day of Preparation."

* * *

He turned the first few pages of the journal searching for the place where he'd left off last night. "Here it is." His finger marked the spot.

"The ancient stoics taught that when you find the truth, it will set you free. Here within Lofty Thought many claim to have the truth, yet I am not released from my distress. I find it curious that people who believe differing ideas think all their beliefs together represent the truth." Jejune raised his eyebrows and looked at Wigglewot.

"My father felt the same way I do. Maybe that's why the Illuminati doesn't like me."

"You are surely your father's son. What else does it say?"

They spent the afternoon reading of travels to far off places. "The Way of Works could be a possibility." Jejune considered the prospect. "Father says here that the people in Goodeeds are pleasant. Listen to this."

"I could do well in Goodeeds. The people respect me. I served as a mediator, settling squabbles between neighbors and family members. They rewarded me with notches carved into a walking stick. They tell me if I carry this stick to the gates of the Eternal City, it will allow me to enter."

"Could that be the walking stick we saw upstairs?"

"It must be." Jejune glanced from the journal to Wigglewot. "But if they were going to the Eternal City, why didn't he take it with him?" He turned the leaf.

"Staid thinks the belief is absurd. At first, I disagreed, but I think she might be right. If the requirement is a notched walking stick, then only people from Goodeeds will gain access to the Eternal City. This cannot be logical. What about those who live in Lofty Thought and do not carry a walking stick?"

"Goodeeds sounds like a nice place." Jejune gazed into the distance and imagined life where people accepted him and even rewarded him.

"But he didn't choose to live there." Wigglewot stretched and turned onto his stomach. "And he didn't plan to return there with your mother."

Jejune sucked in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "True, but I would enjoy the company of pleasant people."

 

When you read The Inheritance, be sure to leave a review! Thanks for your support.

 

Photo license and attribution:

License: Creative Commons 3 - CC BY-SA 3.0

Attribution: Alpha Stock Images - http://alphastockimages.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment